Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!

I have to say, 2008 was one of the best years of my life. That may sound dramatic, but after the harrowing disappointment that was 2005 (a worst year of my life, following the break up with Jan), there were times when I wondered if I'd really be successful in recreating my life in a truly happy way.

Well, 2008 included great travels to the Black Hills and Badlands of South Dakota, two camping trips, and the lifestyle change of living my dream in the Eastern Sierra as a staff writer for the Mammoth Times in June. The first half of the year was a dream come true, being able to work from home as a freelance writer for the Sun Community Newspapers (now sadly folded) without having to answer to a so-called boss or punch a time card!

I've included just a few shots I had time to download that reflect some of my travels. In May, I went on a camping trip in Lone Pine, pitching my tent near Tuttle Creek for magnificent fews over Owens Lake in the distance and, pictured here, sunrise on the Sierra Nevada. Note the beautiful blooming lupin! The second shot was taken up at Lone Pine Lake on the Mt. Whitney Trail. I've also included a view out over Owens Lake from where I pitched my tent. Fantastic!





In May, I went with the Sierra Club on a camping trip to Santa Rosa Island, one of five islands in the Channel Islands National Park off the coast of Santa Barbara. I'd camped there before with Jan in May, 2003. It was great to be back with a Sierra Club group.






These next three shots were taken in the Badlands of South Dakota in June. Memorably, I had at long last made it there as well as to the Black Hills on a fabulous six-day trip (again, with the Sierra Club).





During that same trip to South Dakota, we drove to the southeast corner of Wyoming for a visit to Devil's Tower.



The Crazy Horse Memorial in the Black Hills! An ongoing work in progress.



Here's a shot from my first Sierra Club hike after I'd moved to Mammoth in late June. Seen here is the Hoover Wilderness area near Tioga Pass on June 29, the day before I started work at the Mammoth Times.

No comments: