Saturday, June 9, 2007

The Hoosegow for Paris




On the day that Paris Hilton was sent back to jail, the Los Angeles bureau chief of the New York Times breezed out of her office and announced, "Well, hell froze over today!" I looked up from my work at the front desk and asked, "What do you mean?" My so-called boss lingered just long enough to tell me, with her trademark sneer, that the plight of the pampered, vapid heiress would be on page 1 of Saturday's paper.

Right. In the old days, hell would freeze over before the New York Times put a story about a sobbing society girl caught in the maw of the Los Angeles County legal system on the front page. About how she was taken in handcuffs from her Hollywood Hills mansion and deposited unceremoniously in the back of a black and white police cruiser. About how the first unbeauteous moment of her life was captured and delivered to the globe by one of a swarm of photographers snapping shots from around the car when she turned her blotchy-red face towards the world of freedom she was leaving behind. Gone forever is the image of Paris Hilton as a sublimely entitled, glamorous goddess for whom the rules don't apply.

I've paid scant attention to Ms. Hilton, who appears puzzlingly one-dimensional and frankly vacant. I couldn't comprehend the fuss over this flimsy creature. My sister Carolyn actually cancelled her Vanity Fair subscription when they put her on the cover. "Who is she?" Carolyn exclaimed. "She's nothing! She hasn't done anything! All she is is rich. It's despicable."

One day, I ran into her on Robertson Boulevard in Beverly Hills. Actually, what I saw at first was a gaggle of photographers surrounding a blonde head that bobbed as it crossed the street amidst the flashing bulbs. "Who is that?" I asked an ogling bystander. "Paris Hilton!" Of course. Emerging from Kitson or some such place. If I scanned a future copy of InStyle Magazine I'd likely catch a photo of that moment along with a blurb about the $350 t-shirt Paris had purchased that day. I might even see myself bug-eyed in the background.

Except I wasn't bug-eyed. I stood pensively as she passed within six feet of me. I was struck by an earthy loveliness that contrasted with her smug glam shots, and sensed a sweetness in her aura. Okay, maybe that's just the sweetness of having so much money that you don't have to make a living working for some abusive bullying asshole. But a photographer recently told me that Paris actually is kinda sweet. He said he'd covered a runway show that month, and Paris was the only model who came out afterwards and politely thanked everyone who had participated. "But don't get me wrong," he hastily added, not wanting to seem like an admirer, "I know there's really no excuse for her reckless arrogance!"

Now that she's been ordered back to jail, she will learn some lessons about true character in the absence of the trappings of wealth. All the crying for her mommy and all of her stratospheric privilege could not protect her from the consequences of the indifference she exhibited in the wake of her DUI conviction.

I can't gloat too much about it, though. In fact, I can't gloat at all. I've been there - there in one of those police cars, handcuffed. It ain't fun. It's humiliating. Unlike Paris, however, I got my hysteria out of the way during the arrest and pulled myself together in the long aftermath because I knew the rules applied to me, and like the good girl scout I'd always been, I obeyed them.

Paris did not get hysterical during her arrest or during her probationary period because she didn't think the rules applied to her. Or maybe her publicist forgot to explain. She didn't think she'd have to spend any cold nights in jail. They really do only give you three blankets (actually, in my case, just one, but fortunately the big suede jacket I was wearing the night I was arrested came in handy). I didn't have to wear an orange jumpsuit like Paris does now, because I took every aspect of the DUI legal process seriously and therefore wasn't ever sentenced to punitive jail time. I did not drink. I did not ever once drive in the six month probation period. I signed up immediately for the "drunk class" education courses and spent three hours every Monday night for three months being scolded by a big black guy named Dan. And I went to the mandatory AA meetings.

Paris did none of these things. No pun intended, but I sure hope she gets with the program. Johnny Law takes this DUI shit seriously. There's lots of money being made by those drunk education schools and from fees by the courts. Most seriously, folks die on the road every day because of drunk drivers. When I think about how much I went through and how much it all cost - thousands of dollars may mean nothing to Paris, but for me it meant taking on a second job to get through the ordeal - I'd frankly be really pissed off if she didn't have to get with the program just like I did.

At the same time, I do think the judge is being overly harsh (making a reverse example of her, if you will) and that Sheriff Baca likely pulled her out of jail for good reason (most likely hysterical claustrophobia). But Paris's mommy hasn't helped matters much and that didn't sit well with the judge. Kathy Hilton was there snickering in the courtroom at Paris's original hearing every time the judge mentioned the possibility of jail time. She was snickering because - come on, no judge was really going to send a Hilton to jail. And then when Paris was sentenced, how mommy dearest screamed "No!!!" How reality dawned with a big ugly boom in that bimbo billionaire brain of hers. And now her daughter is paying. Not that it's entirely mommy's fault, of course, but the apple probably didn't fall far from the tree.

So good luck, Paris. It's a real tough way to learn a lesson. I found a way to transform my shame into one of the best turning points of my life. I hope you will too, girl.

12 comments:

k said...

It's Carolyn - I don't agree with you that the judge was overly harsh - I sense that he realized that she had not learned a thing and felt this kind of penalty was necessary to try and get through to her. Also disagree about Sheriff Baca. I am sure a lot of inmates have had hysterical claustrophobia when first entering prison. IT'S PRISON. Of course it is going to cause claustrophobia. Deal with it, Paris. You are 26 years old. Have other inmates been released early when they had hysterical claustrophobia? Also, if she was so medically ill, why was she released to home instead of to the medical ward so that she could be immediately treated if it was such an emergency?
Like your blog a lot...am still reading....

Anonymous said...

I have to admit: I don't know what "hoosehow" means...

Journo Cat said...

Carolyn - Once I learned more about the circumstances of Paris Hilton's release and return to jail, I began to reconsider my position about the judge's harshness and am now inclined to agree with you. First of all, someone apparentyl came to Paris Hilton's mansion within 24 hours of her release to give her a TAN - totally inappropriate and frivolous considering the circumstances. Second, if some medical reason caused Baca to release her, why was she well enough to receive said TAN if she couldn't be in JAIL? And third of all - perhaps most important - Baca's office couldn't offer any proof of Hilton's medical problem. I concluded that she probably threw an old-fashioned tantrum and received special treatment. Jamie Lee Curtis also wrote a good blog about this on Huffington Post.

Sage Mangeur said...

Paris Hilton is a spoiled little brat who received exactly what she deserved for breaking the law. Her parents should be ashamed of themselves for having raised such a self-absorbed, morally vacant excuse for a human being. I have no sympathy for her. Why should anyone?

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you, Sage!
Cathy, still wondering what hoosegow means? I read Jamie Lee's piece yesterday.

Journo Cat said...

carlo: hoosegow is slang for jail. if your dictionary doesn't have the word, then it's outdated and i'll get you one for christmas this year!

sage: i don't have sympathy for paris hilton, who has got to be the most perfect example of vacuity ever to exist. but i feel it's important to consider whether the judge was overly harsh. whatever we feel emotionally (disgust, repugnance, etc), it's his job to see that justice is served. she shouldn't be excessively punished any more than she should be given preferential treatment. the judge made the right call in the end, however, by throwing the book at her, because she's so clearly out of touch with reality that only harsh immersion in it may wake her up and teach some kind of lesson. and even then she may remain utterly clueless. she really seems dumb. the story fascinates me because i have to wonder if there will be ANY psychological movement or growth in her whatsoever.

Sage Mangeur said...

Personally, I couldn't care less about whether or not Paris Hilton has any psychological growth. It will not affect or concern me. What does concern me is the increasing defecit, the depletion of the ozone layer, the tons of toxic waste being dumped into our oceans on a daily basis, the genocides in Darfur and elsewhere, the slaughter of thousands of cats and dogs in China for the fur trade, the disappearance of honey bees and frogs, our dimishing sources of clean drinking water, the tons of pesticides, herbicides and fungicides that are dumped on the food we eat, lying politicians, corrupt politicians, paying my bills, raising my children to be responsible adults, being a good person, etc., etc., etc.

Honestly, I don't think this experience is going to change Miss Hilton one single bit because she is dumb and will always be dumb. Let's face it. If she hasn't gotten it by now, at 26 years of age, she ain't never gonna get it.

Journo Cat said...

yes, sage, of course i realize all the issues of greater concern. i am not part of the 30% ignoramus percentage. but i am interested in psychology, and find in Paris Hilton an extreme case. naturally i'm curious to see if there may be something unexpected in the outcome. like you, however, i believe she's in fact so dumb that she won't change. just like most stupid people who are stuck in their ways, or the product of ignorance, greed, self-indulgence, or what-have-you - like george bush!

Sage Mangeur said...

I absolutely was not including you in the percentage of ignorant people who populate this country and I hope you didn't think that. I understand that what you were saying was a commentary on the whole "Paris Hilton Show." I am just amazed that, with everything going on in the world, most people would rather turn on the TV to hear about poor little Paris than learn about how their government is screwing them over, or how the planet is dying. That's all. I meant no offense to you, just that 30%.

Journo Cat said...

oh no, i didn't take it that way at all, sage, but i appreciate your sensitivity. i've got a bit of an edge today thanks to Day 1 of cycle.

i have a theory that the paris hilton show attracted so much attention not just because of the obvious extremes and the fact that she's pretty universally detested, but because as a matter of pure spectacle, it provided a temporary distraction from the way-uglier stuff that 70% of us are way raging about, more or less helplessly.

many thanks for the link you gave me to iraq veterans against the war. i blogged on it with credit to you in the lede.

Anonymous said...

I'm way late on weighing in...but that never stops me...

1. I have to agree that the Judge was NOT overly harsh and that Baca caved in and released P when he shouldn't have...I think he should have to answer to that.

2. I, however, do feel a little sorry for P...she was raised with this sense of entitlement and being above society because of her wealth. Her parents instilled this and the rest of society perpetuates this myth for her. I think in her mind society suddenly changed the rules on her. She's never been before been held accountable for her actions, giving her a tainted view of the world and offering a false sense of security.

3. While not rising to the level of global warming, our idiotic president, the erosion of women's reproductive rights, etc...I think the P thing is important because, like it or not, we (e.g., Guess, Vanity Fair, general media) have made her a rollmodel for young girls. So, we've got Britney, Lindsay and Paris...basically, a generation of young women aspiring to be slutty, drugged out, drunk, useless beings...but at least they know (as does Paris) that though it may take a lot to get there, at some point they will be held accountable for their actions.

4. I don't think this experience will reform Paris' wicked ways. But, it has taken away her security that she is above everything. It will be interesting to see how that curbs her behavior.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!